Liébana y Picos de EuropaGUIDED VISITTownsMonumentsHistoryNatureRoutesLeisures

Routes

TRESVISO

URDÓN-TRESVISO

TRESVISO-HORCADURA DEL CANTU

TRESVISO-CANTU SULASFUENTES

TRESVISO-SIERRA DE LA CORTA

TRESVISO-BEJES

TRESVISO-JITO DE ESCARANDI-ANDARA

 

URDÓN-TRESVISO

 

 

 

The route starts from Urdón; a gully right on the centre of the Hermida gorge, 17 km from Potes and 23 km from Unquera. Overlooking the Urdón, a clean and crystal-clear water river, that runs into the main river Deva, is the Hydroelectric Plant of the same name. Next to the road there´s also a house, the old mill and a bridge, which form the entry to the track going up to the village of Tresviso.

The electric plant of Urdón gets its water from the Eastern Massif of Picos de Europa which flows from the rivers: Sobra, Valdediezma, de los Lobos and del Torno. 10 km from this place there is a small cave where the water dams up and gets channelled through the hillsides of Sierra de Hoja (Bejes) and Osina (La Hermida) arriving with a 6 % unevenness, to the place called Cuetodave. Some tubes, falling 300 m down to the plant, introduce the water in the turbines. The place where the water´s journey to the plant starts is called Cueva del Agua, and the speleologists are looking for the unknown itinerary of a chasm born in the Andara Massif and arriving presumively to this spot, making an incredible run, which, if the pieces of evidence are confirmed and both spots are really joint, it would mean this in one the deepest chasms in the world.


The Urdón plant was built by "Hidroeléctrica Ibérica" at the beginning of the century. The works concluded in the year 1912. In 1952, and after suffering a spectacular fire, it was rebuilt again. Since 1983, four 132 kilovolt high tension lines join the plant with Arena de Cabrales, Siero (Asturias), Puente San Miguel and Mataporquera (Cantabria). Other 30 kilovolt lines take the electricity to the area of Panes (Asturias).

To make a start on our route we must go along the track on the right hand side of the Plant and cross a bridge situating us at the place called Las Ahileras, where, on the left, we can see some metal rails going downslope. The traveller will cover an altitude gap of 830 m. to get to Tresviso, through a 5 km long ascendant track.

The river is boxed in an impressive canyon on our right, where trout can swim freely in its crystal-clear waters. In this first area riverside vegetation consist in bush willows, and on the river abrupt walls, many laurels start appearing, as well as hazelnut trees, lime trees and wild plum trees. The riverside fauna is mainly made up of water blackbird (Cinclus cinclus), wagtail (Motacilla cinerea), and the Galemys pyrenaicus.

 

Then we get to the spot called Entrelospuentes, where two bridges have to be crossed; being the first made of stone and probably from Roman times. From this point we leave the river aside to the left and pass through the Canalizas del Grezo. As we go up the first turnings, we find a wild fig tree looking as if it was trying to escape from the rock. In this area tall bracken grows, being this a subtropical relic, which give way to the oak trees, mosses and other kinds of bracken. Within the fauna we can mention the Phoenicurus ochruros, Emberiza cia, Carduelis cannabina, two types of lizard: rocky and Iberian, as well as the kestrel and the Monticola solitarius.

The track continues and the tougher turns tell us we are at the Canal de Cerrosa, next to the old sheep-fold of Tombu Roblu, to the path´s right and in front of Coseñores. From this later spot the villagers of Tresviso used to walk down to Cerrosa.

After some very close turns we get to the Vargona, in and area where we leave the winding path, crossing on to the other side where we start some short steep intervals of continuous turns. When the Vargona area has concluded, we should have walked for about an hour, same as it will take us to get to the barns called invernales de Prías, close to Tresviso.

From Huezca, with the Vargona finished, we will see the Pica Mancondiu, one of the important peaks in the Eastern Massif, between the other two: Pica las Torres and Samelar, as well as the Urdón river down below, fitted in the impressive gorge. After a couple more turns we´ll get to a flat area where there is a post from the electric line post. We are now at Ciabedo, where, long ago, there used to be a great holm oak wood; compulsory stop for the horses that used to carry the mineral down from the old mines of Tresviso to this place, so that it was later transported to Urdón in oxen carts. Ciabedo and Canal Arenosa where both resting stops for the people in the Village, so this is why they were called "Las Parás" which means "the stops".

From this point the turns will be longer and not as steep as the ones before. We will pass by a spot called El Catojo to arrive then to Balcón de Pilatos, at 645 m above sea level, a balcony or ledge on the left hand side with a vertical wall that goes all the way down to the river channel and will make the visitor vibrate with emotion. From this point we can contemplate the other side of the river, the hill and pass of Osina. To its left, Cuetodave peak, where you can see the channel which takes the water to the electric plant flowing half slope down.

Next to the Pilatos balcony there´s a vulture colony breeding. One more turn on the track and we´ll leave a tilted electric post on our left. We are at Cotero Cruz. From this spot we´ll be able to realise the magnitude of the track we´re on. Soon after this we´ll arrive to the Prías winter sheds, where we find a drinking trough and a spring with the same name, so we can drink some water and rest for a while before continuing walking the little distance now left to Tresviso. Inside the trough we might see, specially in the summer, the tadpoles of an endemic type of frog (rana bermeja), and both types of newt (the webbed one and the alpine).

From these sheds we´ll continue our way up through the narrow valley, also called Prías, and we´ll soon see the village of Tresviso, at 890 m. altitude after setting of from Urdón, at 75 m. making an impressive and majestic ascent. The journey will take, on the whole, between two and two and a half hours. As we arrive to the village the two types of chough (the yellow and the red beak ones), as well as the Monticola saxatilis can be seen over-flying the green meadows of Tresviso.

 

TRESVISO-HORCADURA DEL CANTU

This route starts from Tresviso´s council backyard, going along a path which passes a village house and gets to a crossroads called El Sel, where we take the right path. Walking over a wall, which limits the last fields before the village, we get to Redondo de Cueto Rubio, and from here, we keep walking uphill to arrive to the summit of Horcadura del Cantu, at 1267 m, 3rd grade geodesic vertex. The sights are strikingly beautiful and showing us the villages in Peñamellera; San Esteban and Cuñaba, in the valley of Peñarrubia and the municipality of Bejes, as well as the impressive Central Massif of Picos de Europa, where, with clear sky days, we´ll be able to see the famous Naranjo de Bulnes. Also a great view of Tresviso can be appreciated.

 

TRESVISO-CANTU SULASFUENTES

The starting point to this route is the same as before up to the place called El Sel, where we should now get the path on the left, and through the Torcu de la Mesa, which is a nearly flat meadow, get out from the field area and go along the track leading to the Cuesta Sulamesa and Horcá de Arriba, until we reach a winter shed. From here onwards there are no more tracks and we´ll keep walking uphill to Cantu Sulasfuentes.

The views here are very similar to the ones at Horcadura del Cantu on the previous route. In both this journeys, to the Horcadura del Cantu and to Cantu Sulasfuentes, it is recommendable to take a full water-bottle because there aren´t any springs on the way. Each of the previous routes can be made in an hours walk.

 

TRESVISO-SIERRA DE LA CORTA

Approximately 2 km from the road joining Tresviso and the Asturian village of Sotres, to the left we´ll find a gate called Portilla de Sobra, which gives way to some shelters: Pandecarral and Las Porquerizas offering us a wide panoramic of the whole valley of Soba and an important section where the Tresviso-Sotres road runs through.

Continuing along a path that runs through the sheds we get down to the river Sobra or Urdón, as it was called later flowing down through the gorge of the same name. We cross the river over the bridge Los Casares, where there´s a small dam which used to have the mission of regulating the water level then flowing down the channel to the Hydroelectric Plant of Urdón. The works could not be finished due to the constant leaks it suffered.

After crossing the bridge and going along the Valdediezma forest´s edge, a path going up half slope, always next to the rock, will situate us at Vega del Tronco, a flat area without any beech trees, where there´s a crossroad. The left track goes down to the village of Bejes (Cillorigo) and, to the right, if we keep going uphill, we´ll get to Jito de Escarandi.

 

TRESVISO-BEJES

The route runs first along the road from Tresviso to Sotres, passing through Collado de Pirué, leaving the Hoyo del Teju enclosure (sheep fold) on our left and getting then to the Jito de Escarandi, where we get to the boundary stone which limits Asturias with Cantabria. At this point there´s a crossroads. The road will continue until the village of Sotres. We will then get the left deviation going towards the village of Bejes (Cillorigo).

We´ll leave a modern cattle shelter on the right and cross the spring in the Valdediezma hill, going through a beech tree grove which crosses over the track. We will then pass the spring El Torno, leaving a new track on our right, which goes down to the barns La Llama.

After crossing the beach tree grove, in the municipality of Bejes, and walk up to Vao Los Lobos, where there´s a spring named the same, we´ll start to make a descent, because the track going up to the right would take us to Vegas de Andara.

On this downhill walk we leave, on our left, the place called Salto de la Cabra, from where, in an impressive cliff, we can spot the village of Tresviso and the channel of Urdón. A little after we´ll pass next to El Dobrillo, 1060 m, where the locals used to calcine the mineral from the mines in Andara, to then, carry it down in oxen carts to the village La Hermida. Continuing down the track we´ll get to the winter sheds of Hoja, as well as the spring of the same name, where we´ll be able to take a breath and look over to Quintana, district village of Bejes (next to the valley entry) with the cattle shelters of Pebe and Pico Parijorcao.

We then pass by the revolt of Sotarreña, where we find the entrance to a typical blue cheese (Picón) cave, and straight away arrive to Bejes, made up of the districts of La Aldea and La Quintana, separated by the parochial church. From here, six kilometers separates Bejes from the town La Hermida, half way through the gorge called the same. The journey from Tresviso to Bejes takes around four and a half hours.

 

TRESVISO-JITO DE ESCARANDI-ANDARA

 

 

 

 

 

The route is common to the previous one, between Tresviso and Bejes, up to Jito de Escarandi, where we should ascend on the track leaving to the left the cattle fold called La Jazuca, and walk by the channel called the same, and the channel Las Vacas, in order to see the peak of Mancondiu (1999 m) in front of us, approaching the Casetón de Andara (1750 m) (high mountain refuge). From here, one could ascend up the southern slope of the Mancondiu, in an easy walk, and also, from this pass and along the right -hand-side path arrive to Majada del Redondal, where the shepherds from Bejes and Tresviso used to come to make the Picón cheese in their caves and cellars during the summer months. This place is on the SW of the Pozo de Andara, where, until the beginning of this century there was a lake once fifteen meters deep in some areas, and which due to an explosion, for the opening of a gallery, and with the purpose of installing a mineral washing point, the water filtered through a crack and lost great part of the flow provided.

Walking up from Bejes, at Vao Los Lobos, choosing the uphill pathway, we will cross the beech wood La Llama. On our way out, we´ll find, to the Track´s left, the sign indicating the kilometer 14 of the route beginning at the town La Hermida.

Then we will pass La Revuelta del Teju, which is known to be the first pronounced turning, from where we can contemplate a beautiful panoramic of the Samelar and Mancondiu peaks, in order to then walk inside Vegas of Andara (1830 m), through the pass of the same name.

From the southern summit of the Mancondiu, a magnificent watchtower of the Circo de Andara is sighted, a great amphitheatre with a concavity guided to the valley of Sobra. The Vegas de Andara are surrounded by the western hillside of the Samelar (2227 m), the San Carlos pass (2063 m), Sagrado Corazón peak (2212 m), Alto del Hoyo Oscuro, Cueto de la Junciana (2261 m), La Rasa (2285 m) and Castillo del Grajal (2062 m), where to the north-west are the remains of the old mining barracks of La Providencia.

In the years 1881 and 1882, the king Alfonso XII carried out several hunts in the area accompanied by the infant Mª Isabel, and on her memory he carved on a rock, next to the Castillo del Grajal, the following inscription, that anybody can contemplate:

"THE KING OF SPAIN / D. ALFONSO XII AND HIS SISTER / THE INFANT Dª MARIA ISABEL / VISITED THIS SPOT AND THEY SPENT THE NIGHT HERE AT THESE SAME HEIGHTS / ON THE / 14th OF SEPTEMBER 1881 "LA PROVIDENCIA" / MINING SOCIETY".

Routes:
CABEZÓN | CAMALEÑO | CILLORIGO | PESAGUERO | POTES | TRESVISO | VEGA

Home